Tuesday 9 December 2014

" Shey private na the way "

It has been a while I wrote something or even decided to fully express my feelings or the thoughts/state of my mind. My fans J “in my mind” have been asking questions such as: 
  • Won’t you write again?
  • Is it because you have said “I do” that you won’t write again?

These questions have brought nothing but a constant smile to my face and has made me rethink and decide ……. Let’s get it started again.

Uhmmmmmm. A great and deep sigh …. So much to say and indeed my mind hasn’t stopped being the busy mind… However, “To whom Wisdom is given, major Discretion is advised” – Socrates tolmega01.
Enough is enough, But Why? When would all this malady stop? Can’t we just have basic amenities? Can’t I just benefit totally from the government? Where are the Chibok girls and all other kidnapped people? Who is responsible for the group causing pain in certain parts of the country? ---- These questions and thoughts plus a lot more occupy my mind and I can say more than half of the Nigerian populace.

Pause …………..




 Time travelling to the beginning of the build up to my write up.





The first question that pops to my head/mind is “What has my Government done for me?” … I can imagine the question someone would ask which is what have you done for your country? :)  A quick answer “patriotism” and a lot more.
Another group would say why would you be demanding? The answer to that is why shouldn’t I demand... I have witnessed societies where just by virtue of birth on the soil i.e. legally a citizen, you are paid every week. If my current statistics/memory is still very active, the British/English child is paid 16 – 20 pounds (Iya Charlie money) on a weekly basis… my vernacular must be pardoned but I needed to stress the currency involved :) 

Pause …………..

Chei !!! Chei!! “Diaris is God o!!!!!!!!!!!! even though the tax paying is high (my opinion), at least the citizens get to benefit one way or the other (basic amenities in place) … Reminds me of the first time I witnessed power outage in London ….It was a great shock at the care and concern of the government as they constantly provided information on timing and duration of the outage…. It was less than 10 minutes and the people still got an apology and explanation for the rationale OMG!!!!!!!!!!! That was the summary of my state of mind.
I earlier pointed to the fact that I have a very busy mind and distractions plenty … I really need to make a conscious effort to stay focused :)

Pause …………..
 Now gathering my line of thought so I don’t drift again. A quick slap to my head ….. Back to the time travelling tunnel and its relation to what has my government done for me?
My primary education was private i.e. parents paid for my education and since they wanted the best, they had to send me to one of the best in my local town. Really proud of the school “St Bernadettes Nur & Pry School”. :)  I can’t remember enjoying anything from the government but am seriously scratching my head to try to find something

Oh boy, don’t stress yourself, at this stage the answer: NOTHING (really sad).
Then it was time to advance to secondary school and since private education was expensive and quality of education was still high in some government/model colleges. I tried my hands on 3 schools: A federal government college, a reputable state school and then a military school. Quick digression: the time spent in the military secondary school is another story for another time but it was indeed great. I remember the discipline and all other virtues instilled by the military men and civilian teachers. It was the period, the man in me was formed and all my Nigerian Patriotism Ginger activated.
An average “Navy Boy” as we were called sang passionately every morning the National anthem and the School anthem with the wordings below:

Singing mode activated: 

 




Nigerian Navy Boys rise and fight
Nigerian Navy Boys rise and fight
In the battle of our country,
We shall rise and fight and win.

That was a victor’s anthem and indeed we are all victors one way or the other. Smiling seriously because of the wonderful memories.
Secondary education finished and I had a dream just like Martin Luther King. The dream was to proceed to GREAT IFE but the almighty Jamb “JAMBED” me at first sitting. I was willing to try again but constant strike action due to government negligence or cult clashes in public universities were major concerns for my parent.
At this point licenses had been given to private institutions to operate University education in the country. My parents jumped at the opportunity and boom “Private Education to the rescue once again”….

Thanks to my parents for spending a lot on my education for me to become an important and successful NIGERIAN. God bless them.

Youth service was another exposure as the private university students were the youngest and probably the smartest and more technology friendly ……  :) See me giving props to myself. Mehn, old boys and girls were produced from public universities – reason: failure of the government. I ended up serving in a private company OMG!! And the time travel ends now as I fast forward into the present where I am working for a PRIVATE company again … chei

Now tell me: HOW HAS NIGERIA PAID ME IN MY EDUCATION OR EVEN ANY AREA?
In an earlier state of mind writing, I asked “Khaki vs Agbada” (http://tolmega01.blogspot.com/2013/07/khaki-vs-agbadasuit.html) meaning military or civilian rule. To me it has been the same i.e. Bad roads, bad governance, corruption, violence, kidnapping, assassination and a host of negatives.
Has your own story been different, if yes how different? Let’s relate, share your view and your experience.
I drop my pen for now till I write about another thing on my mind.

Pause …………..


To my fans “celebrity mode activated”, I say am back and won’t be away for so long again.
In Jenifa’s voice “ catch ya, see ya later”







Image credit:  Google search

No comments:

Post a Comment